Equity posts KES 11.2 billion profits in third quarter.
Oct 31, 2014
KQ Golf Safari tees off at Railways
Nov 1, 2014

Chicago marathon winner Jeptoo linked to positive drug test reports

Rita-Jeptoo after-winning chicago-marathon two week. (Image: Courtesy)

The world of athletics is in shock after the International Association of Athletics Federations (IAAF) confirmed reports from World Anti-Doping Agency (WADA) that Kenyan runner Rita Jeptoo, Chicago Marathon winner two weeks ago, failed a drug test in the build up to her emphatic triumph last month.

RunBlogRun was the first to break the story on Friday whet it sensationally claimed to have received credible information that Jeptoo’s A sample tested positive for banned substances prior to winning the 2014 Chicago marathon.

“Trusted sources have confirmed that, at the end of September 2014, Rita Jeptoo tested positive in her A sample test for a banned substance in an out of competition testing. The out of competition testing procedure was done in Kenya. The testing was done by a urine sample,” read the article

Athletics Kenya (AK) on Friday said that they had received confirmation from the IAAF over the development vindicating the blog.
AK later said they will convene a meeting with Jeptoo next week, where the athlete will be asked to exercise her rights to be present with her lawyer and doctor during the testing for her sample B.

In routine WADA testing, 60 per cent of a sample is tested and labelled A sample while the remaining 40 per cent is sealed and kept for testing in the event that the A sample turns out positive. The athlete’s lawyer, doctor or representative is required to be present during the B sample testing.

Jeptoo clocked 2:24:35 on October 12 for a second successive victory in Chicago and her fourth successive World Marathon Majors (WMM) triumph clinching a share of the 2013/14 series jackpot worth Sh44.69 million.

Jeptoo was scheduled to fly to New York to receive her WMM crown, a fete which has been indefinitely postponed.
“World Marathon Majors is disappointed to learn that Rita Jeptoo has apparently had an A test that proved positive for a banned substance under IAAF rules,” a WMM statement read.

“At present, there has been no decision in this case by the IAAF, including in relation to sanctions, and as a result WMM is unable to comment further until that determination has been made although in the circumstances it has been decided to postpone the WMM Awards Ceremony that was due to take place on the November 2, 2014,” it added.

Jeptoo is represented by Italian Federico Rosa, who represented Mathew Kisorio when failed a drug test in 2012. Kisorio has since returned to action after serving his two-year ban. It is unclear if Jeptoo is already in New York and her management was unavailable for comment.

Comments are closed.