Nairobi, Kenya, Mar 25-Moja Expressway Company, an entity that manages the operation of the Nairobi Expressway has assured its customers that no demonstrations will be held on the 27.1 km road next week.
The Company which is a subsidiary of China Road and Bridge Corporation (CRBC) clarified Friday that the operations in the road will continue as usual with no anticipated disruption.
The statement came after reports emerged that parts of the upcoming Azimio -led demos will be carried out in the Nairobi Expressway.
“We would wish to refute the claims and assure the public that NO demonstrations will be held on the Nairobi Expressway, with normal operations continuing daily on a 24-hour basis,” Moja Expressway Company said Friday.
Opposition leader Raila Odinga as called for street protests countrywide against the high cost of living and his ‘stolen’ victory on Monday and Thursday after similar demos that turned chaotic last week, leading at least one person-a student at Maseno University shot dead by police.
The Company warned that it strictly forbids any unmotorized traffic from pedestrians and/or demonstrations of any nature noting that it “will be treated as trespass.”
They threatened to take legal action against any individual or persons found culpable of spreading untrue information in regards to the operation of the road that stretches from Mlolongo, connects Jomo Kenyatta International Airport to the CBD, and terminates at James Gichuru in Westlands.
“We would also wish to caution the public against peddling untrue and sensational content regarding the Nairobi Expressway’s operations and will not hesitate to take legal action in the event one is found guilty of the offence,” Moja Expressway warned.
Businesses within the city and other parts of the country took a hit with Deputy President Rigathi Gachagua claiming the country lost close to Sh 2 billion on the day of protest.
Speaking in Mombasa Gachagua stated that a lot of money had been lost as many businesses failed to open.
“We want to ask the organizers to consider this afternoon, to call off the mayhem and the chaos so that those who did not open their businesses and shops to do so this afternoon,” he said on March 20
“But there are some who did open their shops in the CBD in Nairobi for fear of the protests. As a result, the country has lost about Sh2 billion in terms of business.”
He observed that the economy had started showing signs of improvement and such mass actions would negate the gains made.
Four days ago, Nairobi Governor Johnson Sakaja said the weekly demonstrations by the Azimio La Umoja One Kenya are unsustainable.
Speaking during the release of the Rapid Results Initiative results, the governor appealed to organisers of the protests to reconsider their stand saying it will negatively affect county operations.